Saturday, April 11, 2009

2009Apr11 Well, it's time. Time to start growing mushrooms again!

Over the past few years I have grown oyster, king oyster, shiitake, and enoki as a hobby. My personal favorites are shitake and king oyster.

I had to close-up operations last year due to an infestation of fungus gnats. Nasty things. They would crawl into my jars and introduce all sorts of contaminants.

This year I will focus on the king oyster (Pleurotus eryngii). My approach this year will be to clone the mushroom on cardboard. Using a weak hydrogen peroxide solution I will attempt to sterilize both the cardboard and mushroom. To help prevent another fly infestation I will cover my air vents with a fine screen. The same screen used in your window frame at home.

Well enough talk for now. Let's go find us a fresh king oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.