Monday, April 27, 2009

Disaster! :( One of my 1/2 pint jars is contaminated. I had originally thought the white mycelium at the edge of the cardboard barrier belonged to the King Oyster, but it was not to be; it belongs to a green mold. I will upload a photo shortly. It troubles me. I am unsure if a fungus gnat got through my screening.

The second of my three is also showing white mycelial grow, but it does not look as stringy as I would expect. Green mold also starts off with a white mycelium, but it soon turns green. The mycelium of mold looks like a group of white spots as opposed to a web of mycelial growth. I fear the worst.

The third is looking better. I had mistakenly positioned the cardboard approx 1/4" from the top of the brown rice substrate below and you can now see mycelium growing down through the middle of the cardboard. It is hard to tell if it has reached the surface of the substrate, but it should not be long. My fingers are crossed.

My stock mycelium is growing into the fresh cardboard, but without its original vigour. I suspect it has exhausted its original store of nutrients and is finding the cardboard somewhat barren. This is perhaps not such a bad thing. I did not want the mycelium to colonize the cardboard too quickly.

As for my Starbucks bags, the mycelium is very fuzzy and white, but does not appear to have started feeding on the coffee yet. More importantly, there are no visible signs of contamination. I know it's there, I just can't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.